Sunday, November 13, 2011

Casting the line....


So I set up the profile and was very clear that I am NOT looking for a long term relationship. I then chose a fairly cute and recent photo for my profile pic.
Do I look Cute? Fun? Old?
The blue haired boy is my son. I wanted to make sure that the hundreds of men viewing my profile knew that my child was an adult and that if needed, he could kick their ass!

Within minutes I had about 10 "meet me" requests. I was so excited!! Then I open the first request and this is staring at me...Yikes!



I won't bore you (right now) with the tweaking I had to do to my profile so I would get potential matches more suited to me but eventually I started getting "meet me" requests that interested me.

I weeded through and came across a guy I'll call "Bud". Bud was my age, owned his own business, just wanted to date and had a really cute profile pic! I sent him an instant message and he replied. We chatted for about 20 minutes that evening and for about 20 minutes the next evening. He was funny and a little sarcastic (2 qualities I require!!) and did I mention he was cute?

He asked for my number so we could talk....I thought long and hard about giving out my number to someone I didn't know and after about 12 seconds I sent it to him (did I mention that he was REALLY cute??)

He called and had a nice voice, he was also able to hold a conversation. Our witty banter kept us on the phone for close to an hour, not too bad! He asked me out for a drink and once again I agonized over meeting someone I barely knew....this time I thought about it for 16 second before saying "yes". (He was REALLY, REALLY cute!). Place and time were set. Saturday at 7:30. This only left me 3 days to get ready!!

I spent those 3 days trying to put together the perfect look. I want to look sexy but not slutty. I wanted to look stylish but not trendy. I wanted to look interested but not desperate. I narrowed it down to a cute, open weave, off the shoulder sweater (black) with a strappy tank underneath (also black), my previously mentioned jeans and black boots. I threw on some funky but not too funky silver jewelry and presented myself to my personal stylist, the blue haired boy. After a suggestion to swap the black boots for the brown (too "matchy" according to blue haired boy) I slapped on some lipstick (a sheer and shiny plum color), got some words of encouragement from blue haired boy and headed to the location.

I arrive, walk in the door and to my surprise Bud has shown up and looks exactly like his picture (did I mention he was REALLY cute)! We greet each other (awkward half hug) and sit at the bar. The bartender comes over to take my drink order and before I can get out the words "miller lite" Bud says "I only have 10 bucks until payday so would you mind ordering a draft?"

Ooookaaay.....I am a little taken back but decide to let it go. Maybe it's a joke?? He is funny and did I mention that he was REALLY cute? So the beer comes and we start talking. I ask if he was joking about the "10 dollars until payday" comment. After all, he does own his own business. It's no joke...according to him some "rich jerk" didn't pay him for the job he had done and it left him a little short. A little??? I decide to play it cool, I don't want him to think that all I care about is money.

So I change the subject. The conversation goes something like this"

Me: So where is your family from?
Him: Ohio
Me: Nice! Go Buckeyes!
Him: Huh?
Me: Ohio Buckeyes?
Him: Oh
Me: So, what do you do in your free time?
Him: Smoke weed
Me: ...........
Him: I used to drink alot but I got 3 DUI's in the past year so I mostly smoke now.
Me: ..................
Him: .............
Me: Sooo......
Him: This is fun!
Me: Um yeah but I have to meet the blue haired boy in about 15 minutes so I've got to go.
Him: Ok, at least I'll have some money left over for a smoke ha, ha.
Me: I am going to the ladies room and then I'm leaving.
Him: Ok, we should do this again!. I'll call you!

I walk (very fast) to the ladies room, send the blue haired boy a text and then wait about 10 minutes. I finally emerge from the ladies room and thankfully Bud is gone. I start to leave the bar when the bartender calls me over and asks if I like tequila. I say "yes, but why?" He says he is buying me a shot to make up for the most uncomfortable 10 minutes in not only my life but his as well. He poured a Patron for each of us and we drank a toast to "fishing and throwing them back".

~Annie

Next post, a pleasant surprise....

1 comment:

  1. Annie:
    Great story. Sometimes you have to kiss alot of frogs........Love your writing! Joce

    ReplyDelete