Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Changing the lures...dates #2 & #3

After my "draft beer only" date with Bud I was a little disheartened but not discouraged. I decided to be more selective. Here is my modified criteria
  • I increased my desired age range to 45 to 55
  • They must be financially stable (not rich, just stable)
  • They don't have to be REALLY cute (although it helps)
  • They should act their age (or at least act like an adult)

With that done, I cast my line again. "Meet me" requests started flooding my inbox!! Ok, I got 8 requests. Here is a rundown:

#1 - 21 yrs old. His message: "hay babe id loved 2 meet u" I didn't even bother checking his profile
#2 - 47 yrs old. His message: "You have a beautiful smile" This man is brilliant!
#3 - 72 yrs old. His message: "I will take care of you if you take care of me (wink)" Ewww!!
#4 - 45yrs old. His message: "You have pretty eyes" Another smart man!
#5 through #8 messaged things that I will not print here. I should be completely disgusted but I was just a teensy bit flattered (I know, but it's been a long time since I have received compliments)

I check out the profiles of 2 and 4 and they seem normal enough so I send the same message to both. It says" I'd like to chat with you and if we can carry on a conversation on-line then we should carry that conversation to a coffee shop to chat in person"

I am soooo clever!!

Both respond and we chat. #2 seems funny and smart. He is a nurse but is taking a sabbatical (yes, he used that word). He likes really bad horror movies and really good books. He takes me up on the coffee date. #4 is a little shy but once he gets over his nerves he is very sweet. He tells me of his volunteer work at a shelter and agrees to coffee.

Coffee date with #2 starts off well. He looks like his photo and holds the doors for me. We order coffee and he pays then we find a table and start talking. The conversation flows freely and easily until I ask if he has children. He starts to tear up! His young child had recently passed away and he was, needless to say, an emotional wreck. I decided to end the date by telling him that he needed to take some time to recover and that right now was not the time to look for a relationship. He thanked me and we exchanged numbers. He called me the next day and told me he appreciated my honesty and that he was taking his profile down for a while and was just going to focus on himself.

Coffee date with #4 was, in a word, AWFUL! First of all he looked much older than his photo and the age of 45 he claimed to be - MUCH older. Then after a minute or two of pleasantries he launches into a tirade about "Jew bankers" and "faggots" ruining our country. I paid for my own coffee and got it to go.

Discouraged and a little freaked out by #4 I decide to head for my favorite watering hole to have something other than coffee to drink and to see some familiar, friendly faces. Immediately upon stepping into the place I can feel myself relax and before I can even sit down the wonderful bartender has already poured my drink and set it on the bar...I love this place! I immediately become engaged in conversation with a couple of the regulars and we swap dating stories. As the place gets busier people start standing behind those of us seated at the bar. This happens all the time and you kind of get used to being bumped and brushed against by customers reaching for drinks or attempting to get the bartender's attention. I didn't flinch when I felt a hand on my upper back and I didn't even flinch when someone whispered in my ear "I love your wings". I have two wings tattooed near my shoulders and often get comments on them. I turned to thank the man who gave the compliment and found myself looking into the kindest eyes I have ever seen......and he was wearing a leather motorcycle vest. Should I cast my net wider?

Next post....the Harley man.

~Annie

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. "Jew bankers?" Really? This definitely beats my worst date ever. Yes, my drunken date did scream obscenities at me when I asked him to get out of my car, but none of them were racist or homophobic. Oh Annie, I hope Harley man was better. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harley man is a true gentleman....

    ReplyDelete